Please click on the link below for the History of Clearwater Lake Resorts/Hotels/Inns
Bungalow Island – The island was purchased by Orrin L. Cofield in 1912 for $300. He built a hotel and offered rustic camp sites. Cofield established a ferry from the southwest side. For a short time the island attracted huge crowds for dinner and dancing. It fell into disrepair during prohibition. In 1983 one-hundred year old bones of a man in his 40s and a woman, age 17-20, were found on the island. Nothing further can be learned about the bones.
An interesting bit of Annandale history is connected with Cofield’s Bungalow Island Hotel. About 1915 or so, Cofield established a ferry to the island and soon after built a “delightful” hotel, which for a short time drew large crowds from Minneapolis. However, prohibition, anti-gambling laws, and transportation difficulties all contributed to the decline of the hotel. Eventually, the owner destroyed it because of the vandalism taking place there. The island’s past is steeped in mystery, which includes possible murder.” - Annandale Centennial book.
The largest resort during the 1930's was the Murry Inn on Clearwater Lake. The hotel and cottages had accommodations for 150 people with a rate of $3.50/day or $18.00/week with ice and rowboat. Vacation Days of the Past, Oak Realty, fall 2002
Below are some other pictures of Clearwater Lake in about the 1950's:
DNR News MAR 20th
DNR seeks comment on Tower area lake management plans
Anglers and others interested in learning about or commenting on Minnesota Department of Natural Resources strategies for managing Tower area lakes and streams are invited to ask questions and submit comments on lake management plans through Monday, ...Read More